Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Introduction

This is my first attempt into the world of blogging. I've set up this blog as a place to record the journey of training for and running my first half marathon. I never thought I would use the words 'run a half marathon' in a sentence about me and I'm sure there are several people out there who are surprised that I would have the desire to run 13.1 miles. So this first post will explain how I decided to take on such an endeavor with my dear friend Crystal.

Here is the summary version....last summer Crystal and I were shopping (previously, our favorite shared hobby) and one of us mentioned that they needed to start running. The other replied that they were thinking about starting running too. We then decided to try running together. Neither of us had really run with someone else before and my idea of running was taking one of my dogs for a 20 min jog at the most. Once we started running we decided we needed a goal and we signed up for the 'Race for the Cure' 5K. We enjoyed the race and decided this wouldn't be our last one!



Crystal and I after the Race for the Cure (October 2009)






While we were in the middle of training I saw an ad for the Walt Disney World Princess Half Marathon and jokingly told Crystal that we should do that. I have been trying to get Crystal to take a trip to Disney with me since high school and have had no luck. I told her this would be an opportunity to keep training together and go to Disney with my family. She said that it sounded like a good idea but we opted out of the Princess Half Marathon because it took place in March and we weren't sure about training through the winter here in Denver. So I did some investigating of the Disney running options and we selected the Disneyland Half Marathon on September 5! We'll be training through the summer and will get to take the shorter trip to California (a much more manageable flight with a 2 year old). We've set up a training schedule so I'm sure we'll be ready for the run but I'm not sure that Crystal can be prepared for a trip to Disneyland with me!

1 comment:

  1. Disney with Lacy would require an entirely separate blog

    ReplyDelete