Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Possible Change of Plans

I tend to be a pretty grounded person and not get too excited about things in advance. I understand that it is fun to talk about things and make plans for someday even though it may never happen. Like all those trips Dale and I planned to Australia when I was a kid (Dad, I'm still in if you are).

I have only gotten better at tempering my expectations since becoming a mom as the first lesson of parenting is 'Plans Will Change'. Whether it be from that nap happening two hours too early and ruining all plans for the day or your kid getting sick and changing plans for a month or even the year (Kristin, I know y'all will have fun at WDW on your own and our little guys will still be Disney buddies, just not this year).

Given all of that I am still very disappointed to have to be writing this post. Clearly I got my expectations up and was very excited about Crystal and I running the Disneyland Half Marathon together. Unfortunately, I learned this weekend that Crystal came down with a bad virus and the doc says she probably won't be back to normal (and in turn able to run) for 6 weeks. This is right in the thick of our training schedule so it is looking like I'll be running this half marathon on my own.

I called Disney to see what our options were, and a very helpful cast member told me that the registration is non-refundable and non-transferable, no exceptions and the race is at capacity. She tried to cheer me up by saying that I won't be running on my own I'll be running with 1,000 people. She also advised that I should befriend the runners in costumes as they have the most fun. Now I'm a bit of a Disney nut but I'm still not sure I understand running while dressed like Snow White. I know it is still going to be a very memorable family vacation and a trip to Disneyland that we will never forget. However, I was so looking forward to sharing the memories with Crystal.

On a completely unrelated note.....I will be sticking to the GU chews as I could not stomach the texture of the GU gel. Also, I need to work on expanding my IPod running playlist since I'll be doing all of the running on my own. Any suggestions for great running songs?

3 comments:

  1. I'm bummed that Crystal can't run with you (and that you can't come to WDW). Have you thought about going on Intercot to see who else may be running? Maybe an internet friend can become a real life friend...

    ReplyDelete
  2. :( Aww Lacy. I'm sorry! That stinks. I hope Crystal gets back to good health soon. You two are real runners now, so I'm sure after 6 weeks off, she'll be itching to run again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang it! I feel bad for Crystal and am sorry that she's sick. I'm disappointed for you that you have to run it on your own. I'd offer to pretend to be Crystal for the day, but we both know that wouldn't work out.

    ReplyDelete